68 deg. scattered clouds, no wind.
Forecast = Partly cloudy with a 40% chance of a thunderstorm. High of 90F. Winds from the SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
On the way back from Kankakee the other day, we had a problem with the dinette slide. As we were traveling along, the slide started to work its way out, just a little. The farther we drove, the more the slide inched it's way out.
At one point, Jim pulled onto an Interstate off ramp, and retracted the slide back to it's closed position. As we continued to travel down I-57, the slide soon started moving out again and when we got to a rest area, Jim pulled Bobbie T in and again retracted the slide, which by this time was extended about 2 inches.
We still had about 25 miles to go so Jim brought in a couple short pieces of 2X4 lumber and wedged them between the slideout floor and the main floor. (Yankee ingenuity?) After doing that, we successfully returned here to Prairie Pines with the bottom of the slide only moving out about 1/2 inch or so.
Now, why did the slide all of a sudden start to extend as we were traveling? Well, by going on the Internet, and doing some research, Jim found out that on Bobbie T's dinette slide, there is a brake on the electric motor that is supposed to stop that from happening. Either the brake is broken or there is some corrosion or rust that is stopping it from operating properly.
In the next day or so, Jim will be removing a plate in the top of the basement compartment, (just below the slide), and check it out. He has some suggestions on what to do, so he should be able to determine if it's broken, (needing a motor/gear assembly), or just corroded. If it's corroded, it should be fairly easy to fix. If it's broken, a new motor/gear assembly will have to be ordered.
Or, , , , , , , In about 2 weeks, (right after the 4th of July weekend), we could head up to the Elkhart, IN. area, and he may be able to pick up one there. To do that, he would have to block the slide with some boards so that the slide could not move out on the way up there, but that's very doable.
Not much else been happening around here. We've had showers and T-storms most days, (some of them pretty severe), it's been quite warm in the afternoons, with highs around 90, so not much has been done outside. Jim and Linda went to the Family Table Restaurant last night for dinner and had another very good meal, and Jim has been working out the details of our up-coming trip in 2 weeks.
A Point to Ponder: If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.